The Alexandra Pottery, Scotia Road, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:February 1964

Description:The camera is looking northwards towards the centre of Tunstall from just beyond Woodland Stree. On the right is Johnson Brothers (Hanley) Alexandra Pottery opposite Rathbone Street. The square chimney in the centre belongs to Soho flint grinding mill where the road curved round to meet Amicable Street (now Butterfield Place).

The Alexandra Pottery was built in 1886 and was one of five Johnson Brothers pottery works (the others were in Hanley) making up possibly the largest earthenware manufacturers in the world. The company later merged with Wedgwood, with the Alexandra works closing in 2003. The works have been demolished and the site is now the Alexandra Park retail site.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/085-05 (204/35199)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.