Salvation Army Citadel, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:January 1964

Description:The Salvation Army Citadel stood on the corner of Ladywell Road (formerly Sneyd Street) and Harewood Street. The building was originally Tunstall's first theatre (The Prince of Wales), opened in 1865. By 1880 the theatre had closed and it was taken over by The Salvation army in 1882 and opened as the Northern potteries Citadel in 1889. Only the outer walls of the original theatre building still stand, the interior was much changed with conversion into a Citadel. The Salvation Army moved to new premises in 1998 and since then the building has had a range of uses both religious and commercial.
This area of Tunstall has been redeveloped and the buildings either side of the old theatre have been demolished.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/078-05 (204/34862)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.