Barber's Picture Palace in Hose Street, Tunstall.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:January 1964

Description:Looking along Hose Street towards Roundwell Street with George Barber's cinema on the right hand side. Barber opened the first cinema in the Potteries in Station Road in 1909 and this, "The Regent", in Hose Street in 1911. The building, originally an auction room, closed as a cinema in 1959. A year after the photograph was taken, the cinema reopened as the "Golden Torch" discotheque in January 1965. The building was later destroyed by fire.

The Ford Thames van belonged to Otet, an electrical goods shop whose service department was on Hose Street.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/077-06 (204/34801)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.