Richards Tiles Ltd, Brownhills Road, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:January 1964

Description:The Richard's Tiles factory on Brownhills Road was opened in 1934, to supplement the existing Pinnox Works on Scotia Road. At the time it was heralded as "one of the best and most up-to-date tile factories in the world" with long, continually firing tunnel kilns. By 1948 the factory was producing 5000 square yards (over 4000 sq. m.) of tiles per week.
In 1968 the company merged with H& R Johnson, whose Highgate works were across the other side of Brownhills Road, just off the left edge of the photograph.

The taller building further along the road to the left is Enoch Wedgwood's earthenware works. The factory has been demolished and the site cleared.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/070-10 (204/33695)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.