Black Bull station and Victoria Colliery aerial ropeway, Brindley Ford, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1964

Description:Black Bull Station was just north of Brindley Ford on the Biddulph Valley line, opened in 1860. The station opened in 1864 but the line was used mainly for coal and iron stone and passenger numbers were low. Passenger services were withdrawn in 1927.

Victoria Colliery is behind and to the right of the station. Just beyond the station buildings is the aerial ropeway connecting Victoria Colliery to the spoil tip. The bridge beyond that carried the mineral line from Victoria Colliery to Brown Lees Colliery and on to Birchenwood, Turnhurst and the Potteries Loop Line.

The station buildings have been removed and the line now forms part of a walkway and cycle way along the Biddulph Valley route.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/068-06 (204/33686)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.