Bank Street, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:January 1964

Description:Looking north east along Bank Street from close to the corner with Hawes Street (formerly Upper Mount Street). In the far distance is the waste tip of Whitfield Colliery. Towards the bottom of the street, the tall chimney belongs to the Church Bank Pottery part of Robert Booth & Sons. Opposite are Alfred Meakin's Royal Albert and Victoria potworks.

On the left hand side the building with the first floor bay window, No 6 Bank Street, was owned in 1906 by Annie Stevenson who was listed as a "beer retailer". Further down on and the same side, the next building with the pitched roof was the United Methodist Chapel. Most of the terraced houses on both sides of the street down to the chapel still remain. The potworks have been demolished and replaced with modern housing.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/067-06 (204/33661)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.