Newchapel & Goldenhill Station, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:May 1964

Description:Newchapel & Goldenhill station was on the Potteries Loop Line between the two settlements of Newchapel (to the north)and Goldenhill (to the south). The station was opened in 1874 and originally known just as Goldenhill station (Newchapel was added in 1912). In 1964 the station was closed along with the rest of the Loop Line. The route of the line is now a walkway connecting Tunstall and Kidsgrove.

The Loop Line was known for its sharp curves and steep gradients and Newchapel was at the summit of the line. The photograph was taken from the Birchenwood Road bridge (formerly Station Road) and is looking south where the line drops towards Tunstall.

The group of buildings on the higher ground in the centre of the photograph is Westcliffe Hospital on Turnhurst Road, originally part of The Wolstanton & Burslem Workhouse. The buildings have been demolished.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/066-04 (204/33655)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.