Harecastle railway tunnel from Hollywall Lane, Tunstall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:April 1964

Description:Looking westwards from Hollywall Lane towards the southern entrance of the Harecastle railway tunnels (immediately behind the first pylon). On the skyline to the right is the pillar of the Wedgwood Monument on Bignall Hill at Red Street. The obelisk was erected in 1845 at then request of John Wedgwood, a local mine owner. Today the monument is just a quarter of its original height (over 40 metres) after being damaged in a storm in 1976. On the skyline to the left are the houses of Crackley Bank.

The Harecastle railway tunnels were bored in 1848 to take the North Staffordshire Railway to Kidsgrove through Harecastle Hill. The southern tunnel was over 1 mile long. Abandoned today, much is flooded. The Trent & Mersey Canal runs through a parallel tunnel bored by Thomas Telford in 1820.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/065-03 (204/33618)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.