Fegg Hayes Road and Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:June 1964

Description:Looking east along Fegg Hayes Road towards Chatterley Whitfield Colliery. Oxford Road is at the end. Fegg Hayes Road was originally called North Parade. On the right edge is the entrance to the Lear Memorial Chapel, a Primitive Methodist Chapel built in 1882 which was on East Terrace. Now demolished.

Five sets of winding gear are visible along with the surface buildings. The view towards the colliery is much changed today although the chimney and the two of the sets of winding gear remain. Across the centre of the photograph, the straight line between the colliery and the end of the road is the embankment which carried the Biddulph Valley branch line which connected Stoke with Congleton.

On the left is one of the original gas street lights, although by now probably converted to electricity.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/061-03 (204/33537)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.