Sneyd Colliery from Nile Street, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:November 1963

Description:The camera is looking east from the top of Adelaide Street at the junction with Nile Street towards Sneyd Colliery and Brickworks. The colliery eventually had four shafts mining house and steam coal and the brick company specialised in coloured and white glazed bricks (used in many buildings in London, including the Law Courts and railway station). Parts of the brick ovens are just visible on the left, below the SNEYD chimney.

Linked underground to Hanley deep Pit and Wolstanton, Sneyd stopped winding coal in 1962 before being closed in the 1970s. At its peak, Sneyd produced 500,000 tonnes of coal a year with the deepest shaft (number 4) going down to over 2,600 feet (800 metres). In January 1942 the pit was the scene of a major disaster when 57 miners were killed in an underground explosion. The site today is shared between a business and industry park and Stoke on Trent College. The saloon car on the right is a Vauxhall Victor produced in the early 1960s.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/051-05 (204/33448)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.