Hulton Abbey

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:October 1964

Description:The ruins of Hulton Abbey in the grounds of Carmountside Junior High School located at the junction of Leek Road and Woodhead Road. The Medieval Cistercian Hulton Abbey was consecrated in 1223 but following the dissolution of the monasteries in 1538, the site was lost until 1884 when it was found during a chance archaeological excavation. Stone from the abbey complex was used in a number of buildings, including Abbey Farm, in the Abbey Hulton area.
The site of the Abbey was acquired by Stoke-on- Trent City Council in 1987 and excavated by The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery's Archaeology Field Unit between 1987 and 1994.

The now demolished classrooms belonging to Carmountside Junior High School are in the background.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/028-06 (204/33113)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.