Spark Street, Stoke upon Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1963

Description:Looking along Spark Street from near the London Road end. The building on the extreme left is the Minton memorial Building, later known as the School of Art. Next door is the public baths building, immediately behind the old School of Art, with entrances on Spark Street. The public baths were proposed in 1856, Herbert Minton donated £500, After Minton's death in 1858 the project was altered to include a Memorial Building as well as the public baths to commemorate Minton. The Illustrated London News described the baths (in 1860) as "..containing first and second class baths for each sex, with every requisite and convenience. A large swimming-bath, fifty feet by thirty feet, is provided".

Spark Street was known as Park Street until the large scale renaming of Stoke on Trent streets in the 1950s. The School of Art and public baths building are all that remain from this 1963 photograph.

View Location

Share:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/016-04 (204/32981)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.