Minton Hollins Tile Manufactory, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:The Minton Hollins Tile Manufactory occupies most of the north side of Shelton Old Road, Stoke-on-Trent. The factory covered over 7 acres (nearly 30,000 sq metres). This factory was built in 1869, replacing a smaller site in Church Street in Stoke and became the major centre for the manufacture of encaustic and mosaic tiles. In 1899, the works was producing over 2 million tiles a month and at one time over 800 people were employed. Much of the factory was demolished in the late 1980s but the Shelton Old Road frontage remains. This is a grade II listed building of red brick and decorated with examples of Minton tiles.

On the extreme left of the photograph is the edge of the Cliff Vale Inn, now (2017) derelict. Further along Shelton Old Road is the Stoke Pottery and the road curves round to pass over the Trent & Mersey Canal and under the railway bridge in Stoke Road. This area on the right of the photograph has been changed with the building of the A500 (Queensway) intersection. In the 1960s Shelton Old Road had two way traffic.

View Location

Share page:


Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/015-13 (204/32977)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.