Oldfield's Brick Works, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:April 1963

Description:The photograph shows the fireclay marl pit at Oldfield's brick works, east of Duke Street in the Lane Delph area of Fenton. At the time of the photograph, the pit was being filled in.

There was a brickworks in Lane Delph in by 1820. The Oldfield works was part of the Oldfield Colliery until 1896 when the mine closed and the brickworks continued independently. The yard was in production until at least 1959 when it was owned by D. Duddell Ltd and making refractory bricks. The site is now occupied by the Oldfield Industrial Estate. The thick band of more resistant rock running through the centre of the photograph is the Bassey Ironstone. This is one of over 50 horizons or seams worked for coal or iron in the North Staffordshire Coal Measures.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/207-19 (204/32788)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.