Goodwin's Potters Millers on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:August 1963

Description:George Goodwin & Sons Westwood Mills site on the banks of the Caldon Canal just off Lichfield Street in the Eastwood area of Hanley. The company was founded in 1848 and had mills at Consall and Cheddleton. Westwood Mill closed in 1966. The site has been cleared.

Goodwin's ground flint and Cornish stone (quartz and felspar) as a raw material for the manufacture of porcelain. Large blocks can be seen behind the crane. To the right of the chimney is part of the Hanley Electric Light Works (1894) and the terraced houses on Matlock Street, now demolished.

View Location


Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/176-09 (204/32698)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.