Sutherland Institute, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1905 - 1915 (c.)

Description:The recreation ground in the process of construction. In the background can be seen the Sutherland Institute, later Longton Library. Stone Road has since been renamed Lightwood Road.

This photograph was taken from the corner of Beaufort Street and Warren Street (now Lloyd street). The open ground in the foreground is roughly where the bowling green is today, off Beaufort Street. During 1996-97 the middle ground was excavated down to roughly 30 metres to accommodate the new A50 dual carriageway cutting.

View Location


Link to this resource

Donor ref:(171/21893)

Source: Lovatt Collection, Stoke on Trent City Archives

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.