Village store and coffee house, Oakamoor

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1890 - 1895 (c.)

Description:During the 1890s, this building doubled as both a village store and coffee house, serving the village of Oakamoor.

It must have been quite a novelty for such a small village to have a coffee house; one can easily picture it full of Victorian women discussing the issues of the day over a pot of fresh coffee.

Pictured are Mrs Tipper and her son Clement in the doorway, shortly after it was opened as a store and coffee shop, with a reading room upstairs. Babies and small toddlers of either sex often wore this type of 'dress' whilst in nappies for easier changing.

This image is featured by kind permission of the Churnet Valley Railway.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Donor ref:(109/16127)

Source: Churnet Valley Railway

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.