Heybridge, Lower Tean

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail. If using a mouse click on the image to toggle zoom.
When in zoom mode use + or - keys to adjust level of image zoom.

Date:1900 - 1910 (c.)

Description:Samuel Philips (d.1824) bought Heybridge in about 1813 and greatly extended an existing stone built farmhouse. Samuel was part of the J. & N. Phillips textile business who owned nearby Tean Hall Mills. Samuel's brother John lived at Heath House at Upper Tean. The house was further extended during the later 19th and early 20th centuries and remained in the Phillips family until the death of Humphrey Burgoyne Phillips in 1951. It was then put up for sale. The National Health Service bought it but was unable to convert the building into a maternity hospital, so it was sold to a scrap dealer who stripped the house of its fittings. It was demolished during the 1950s with the exception of the servants' quarters which has been converted into apartments. Nightingale Close now stands on the site of the house and its gardens (Florence Nightingale had been a guest at the house in 1840).

Photograph by William Blake of Longton.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr William Blake - Creator

Donor ref:(40/11565)

Source: The Potteries Museum & Art Gallery

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.