Theme Explorer

Page 4 of 19 341 Records Found

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Longport

Map of the Longport area including the Longport Pottery and Top Bridge Pottery factories alongside the Trent and Mersey Canal. The Old Wool Pack Horse Inn and Duke of Bridgewater public houses can ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Longport Pottery

Map of the Longport Pottery factory alongside the Trent and Mersey Canal. The road in the centre of the map is now known as Davenport Street. This road leads to Tunstall via Brownhills. Why were the ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map showing the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre known as Middleport. Navigation Road and Newport Lane are still there today. Port Vale Mill can be seen situated on the Trent and Mersey ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map showing the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre now known as Middleport. St. Paul's Church can be seen in the centre of the map. Dale Street, Globe Street and Newport Street are still ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Middleport

Map of the area to the south-west of Burslem town centre now known as Middleport. Newport Lane runs down the centre of the map. It eventually meets the Trent and Mersey Canal. Furlong Lane, Port ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - Port Vale Wharf and the Trent and Mersey Canal

To the south-west of Burslem, this area is now known as Middleport. Longport Station and Fowlea Brook can be seen toward the bottom left of the map. The Railway Inn is just along the road from ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps - The Trent and Mersey Canal through Longport and Middleport

Map showing the Trent and Mersey Canal weaving through Longport and Middleport. This area lies to the south-west of Burslem town centre. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed ...

Burslem area Ordnance Survey Maps- Public Sewer in St. John's Square and Market Place Plan

Map showing details of Burslem's drainage plan. Why were the maps made? This series of maps was surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department in 1851 in accordance with the provisions of the Public ...

Burslem Railway Station

The entrance to Burslem Station on Moorland Road, alongside Burslem Park. Construction of the station began in 1870 and the Potteries Loop Line reached Burslem in 1873. The tablet over the door reads ...

Caldon Canal at Stanley Road, Stockton Brook

Looking east along the Caldon Canal from the Stanley Road bridge in Stockton Brook. The lock is the Top Lock (number 9) on the canal, with boats up to 72 feet long and 7 feet wide able to use the canal. ...

Caldon Canal at Stockton Brook, Stoke-on-Trent

The Caldon Canal in a near derelict state. The road bridge carries the A53, Leek New Road and has been rebuilt and widened since the photograph was taken. Restoration of the canal took place in the 1970s. ...

Caldon Canal near Lichfield Street, Stoke-on-Trent

This picture shows the Caldon Canal running past a pottery factory near Lichfield Street in Stoke-on-Trent. Canals were a very important means of transporting raw materials and finished ceramic products: ...

Canal bridge at Ivy House Road, Hanley

A wooden lift bridge over the Caldon Canal in Hanley. Lift bridges were counter-weighted and usually operated manually or by using a windlass. This bridge has been replaced by a permanent structure.

Canal lift bridge, Ivy House Road, Hanley

This lift or draw bridge (number 11) carries Ivy House Road over the Caldon Canal. Over the bridge to the left, and alongside the canal, was J & G Meakin's Eagle Pottery. Demolished in 2005, the land ...

Chapel St, Forsbrook. Photographed by William Blake.

Village scene with a view of Chapel Street, Forsbrook, Staffordshire.

Chatterley Whitfield Colliery, Stoke-on-Trent

The photograph, looking north east, shows the mineral railway line serving Chatterley Whitfield Colliery. The bridge in the centre carries the line over Chell Heath Road and the houses on the extreme ...

Cheadle Road, Forsbrook

A view looking south-west along Cheadle Road in Forsbrook, towards Blythe Bridge. This photograph was taken from a point close to the junction with Chapel Street. Most of the buildings are (in 2014) ...

Cheadle Station, Engine No. 12. Photographed by William Blake.

View of Cheadle Station including a steam engine marked No. 12 and passengers waiting on the platform. Cheadle Station was the terminus of the Cheadle Railway, which was worked by the North Staffordshire ...