Beardmore's old pottery, City Road, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1963

Description:This photograph was taken looking westwards from close to the corner of Fountain Street and City Road. On the left is Frank Beardmore's old Sutherland Pottery, dating from 1901, although the works had been operating since 1893. The company manufactured earthenwares. Beardmores produced souvenir wares for export until just after the First World War. By the 1940s the works was making tiles and by the mid 1960s had become Mellor's Caravan works.

Beyond the row of terraced houses is Christchurch Street with the Bass pub (the Royal Oak) and a bank on the corner. Sutherland Works and the houses had been demolished by the mid 70s and replaced with a car park. The right hand side has seen much less change, with most shops still standing.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/206-04 (204/39236)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.