Slater's Fireclay Pit, Berry Hill, Stoke-on-Trent

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:May 1963

Description:The fireclay pit or marl hole was part of Berry Hill brickworks (also known as Slater's fireclay pit) and linked to the nearby Berry Hill collieries. John Slater purchased the colliery in 1914 and the brickworks came as part of the deal. Fireclay is used to make refractory products that will retain their strength at high temperatures and occurs naturally in the Coal Measures in North Staffordshire. The brickworks also produced engineering and facing bricks, with production continuing into the 1970s.

Reclamation of the area involved moving over 1.5 million tonnes of spoil from the tips into the marl pits. The land is a mixture of industrial estate and 70 hectares of open green space. The camera is looking towards Fenton.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/197-24 (204/39159)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.