Swan Square, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:Swan Square in Burslem from Market Place. Waterloo Road carries on mistily from Swan Square towards Cobridge and Hanley. Moorland Road is off to the left.

The two large buildings on the left are the George Hotel and, nearer the camera, the old Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. This chapel with its massive Corinthian facade was built in 1801, although the front dates from 1870, replacing earlier chapels. Demolished in the late 1960s the land is now the site of a modern church: Swan Bank Chapel, opened in 1971. Swan Square is the meeting point of roads into Burslem. Arnold Bennett called it Duck Square in his novels, and the church Duck Bank Chapel. The George Hotel became the Dragon. This is a rebuild of an earlier hotel that burned down in 1929. The shop on the corner on the right was a shoe shop, part of the Freeman Hardy Willis chain.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/113-16 (204/38869)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.