Grafton Pottery Works, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1965

Description:The Grafton Pottery Works was on Marlborough Road, Ashwood in Longton. Built in 1900 for Alfred B Jones who set up his family business around this time. The name came from the neighbouring Grafton Junior and Infants' school which were off the photograph to the left. After the 1960s, the company underwent several name and ownership changes before becoming part of the Tams Group in the 1990s. Grafton and Royal Grafton produced fine bone china tea sets and figurines. the works has been demolished and the site used for housing.

Neighbouring Miller & Jones were general earthenware dealers. Parked outside is a British Railways Scammell road delivery tractor and trailer, painted red and cream (or blood and custard). The tractors were three wheelers, called "mechanical horses" and used to deliver to and collect from railway goods depots.

The open land in the background was once known as Priors Fields, now largely built over.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/233-20 (204/38847)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.