St John's Church, Longton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1962

Description:St John the Baptist Church and churchyard in Longton. This was the view across the graveyard from Rutland Road. The old church founded in 1764, rebuilt in 1792 with the east end nearest the camera enlarged in the 1820s was a mixture of classical and Gothic styles. This was the original Lane End church, the area centred on Market Street and Anchor Road in Longton. Mining subsidence in the 1970s lead to closure and demolition in 1979. A smaller chapel has been built on the site.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/232-10 (204/38840)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.