Odeon Cinema, Trinity Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:This photograph was taken from the entrance to Piccadilly Arcade looking west along Trinity Street. The Art Deco style Odeon Cinema stood on the corner of Lower Foundry Street. Opened in 1938, this was one of the first cinemas in the Odeon chain. When it was built, there wasn't a taller building next door so that the "Slender Moderne" style fin stood out as a tower. The auditorium could seat over 1500 and extended along Lower Foundry Street. Closed in 1975, the building has had a variety of uses from storage to cafe to bar and night club.

This side of Lower Foundry Street stand the old Evening Sentinel offices, established here in the 1840s. On the left hand edge are the turrets of the former telephone exchange on the corner of Trinity Street and Marsh Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/185-01 (204/38625)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.