Lamb Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The photograph was taken before The Potteries Shopping Centre was built and when Market Square was parking space. Looking along Lamb Street, on the right is Martins Bank, amalgamated into Barclays Bank in 1999. Just beyond is Swan Passage and then M Huntbach's store on Lamb Street. Huntbach's store started in Hanley in 1863 and by the 1960s they sold a wide range of drapery, fabrics, umbrellas and had dressmaking and tailoring workshops. The store was demolished in 1977-78 to make way for a Littlewoods department store. This later became Primark.

Beyond Huntbach's store can be seen the steel framework of the "new " Lewis's store. The original store can be seen on the other side of Lamb Street. This was opened in 1934 and replaced by the "new" store in 1964. In 1988, this store was incorporated into the Potteries Shopping Centre.

This side of Lewis's is the National Provincial Bank which merged with the Westminster Bank in 1968 to form the Nat West Bank. The whole block was redeveloped with the demolition of Lewis's old store and the bank. At the bottom of Lamb Street are the shops on Stafford Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/175-15 (204/38592)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.