Old Fire Station, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:In the foreground is Hanley Fire Station and behind the premises of Webberley Ltd, printers, stationers and booksellers. The camera is looking down Parliament Square towards Percy Street.

The Fire Station stood on the corner of Old Hall Street and was opened in 1921. It replaced an earlier station in Stafford Street. This building was demolished in 1970, replaced by the new station on the Potteries Way. The site hs been cleared.

Webberley's were founded in 1913 in Tontine Square and moved to the Free Trade Buildings in Percy Street in 1924. The building itself dates from the 1880s. The business closed in 2016. Parked in Percy Street is the Stoniers bus service from Hanley to Bentilee.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/179-23 (204/38507)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.