Howard Pottery, Norfolk Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:Looking eastwards along Norfolk Street in Shelton. At the bottom ate the backs of houses on Harcourt Street. Norfolk Pottery is on the right and backed onto the Caldon Canal, which is just off the photograph to the right. The terraced houses on the left had been built by 1900, some before 1850. At the bottom, Croston Street is going off to the left.
The Norfolk Street works was operated by the Howard Pottery Company from 1925 until the mid 1970s. They made earthenware with the Brentleigh Ware trade name. Prior to the 1920s, the works was called the Norfolk Works and operated by R G Scrivener and then Pointon & Co. The works have been demolished and the site cleared. The houses still stand. Parked on the right is a motor cycle and sidecar combination.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/179-15 (204/38505)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.