Doulton Sanitary Ware Pottery, Fenton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:April 1963

Description:This photograph shows the Doulton Sanitary Potteries works which fronted into the Trent & Mersey Canal. The photograph was taken from the Whieldon Road bridge over the canal, looking southwards. The works was originally the Colonial Pottery operated by Winkle & Wood, earthenware manufacturers, from 1889. The pediment at this end of the building reads 1888, Winkle & Wood, Colonial Pottery. Doulton's moved sanitary ware production here from Burslem in the 1930s and continued until 1992. The works were demolished around 2000.

Just behind the camera is the Colonial Pottery canal basin.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/217-24 (204/38468)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.