Hanley Salvation Army Citadel, Glass Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The Salvation Army Citadel stands in Glass Street in Hanley. Opened in 1903, this building is the third of the Salvation Army's Hanley places of worship. The buildings closer to the camera belonged to the Technical School.

On the side of the citadel is a sign for "ROXY", a cinema behind the citadel reached along the lane off Glass Street. The Roxy replaced the Imperial Picture Palace in 1931. Later it became a music/dance centre until the 1980s.

The view of the top of the street is very different today. Marple Street (formerly King Street) ran across the top of Glass Street in 1963. Today the street ends in a dual carriageway: the A50, Potteries Way.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/173-06 (204/38442)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.