Johnson Brothers' Trent sanitary ware works, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:The Trent Works was one of three Johnson Brothers' works along Eastwood Road. Trent specialised in the manufacture of sanitary ware and was on the south side of the Caldon Canal, just over the Albion Bridge. Erected in 1896 the works was designed for non-tableware production. The photograph shows the main office block in the centre. The works were demolished in 2004-2005 and earmarked for housing development but the office block has been retained as part of the development and still stands on Eastwood Road. Also part of the site were two bottle ovens close to the canal, again retained in the development.

The photograph is taken looking up Eastwood Road with the Albion Bridge over the canal on the left edge. Beyond that is Johnson Brothers' Hanley Pottery. On the other side of the road opposite Trent is the third of the Johnson Brothers works on Eastwood Road, The Imperial Pottery.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/172-03 (204/38439)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.