Johnson Brothers' Hanley Pottery, Eastwood Road, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:Johnson Brothers' Hanley Pottery works on Eastwood Road. This was one of three Johnson Brothers' works grouped along the Caldon Canal on Eastwood Road Hanley, the others were the Imperial and the Trent works. The company manufactured mainly tableware (although the Trent works produced sanitary ware), much for export to the USA. The North American market grew rapidly after the Civil War (1861-1865) and the Hanley and Imperial Works were built to meet this demand. At one time it was one of the most successful of the Staffordshire Potteries and joined the Wedgwood Group in 1968 in an attempt to remain competitive.

Hanley Pottery was sited alongside the Caldon Canal. The works closed in the 1990s and was demolished in 2005. The land is now part of the Waterside residential development alongside the canal from Ivy House Road to Lichfield Street. The photograph is taken looking up Eastwood Road towards Hanley from close to the Albion Bridge over the Caldon Canal. Pelham Street is off the photograph to the left. The view today is one of houses.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/172-01 (204/38438)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.