Castlefield Street, Shelton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:Looking along Castlefield Street, off Shelton New Road, in Cliffe Vale. Castlefield Street was formerly called Edward Street. The photograph was taken about halfway down, just beyond Lomas Street. At the bottom is Trionite (non-ferrous metal) Foundry on the road that leads into Lower Bedford Street. The foundry is closed.

Rediffusion (on the left) was a company that provided television programmes along wire (cable) networks and also rented televisions. It was also one of the early commercial television stations (Associated Rediffusion). By the end of the 1980s the company had ceased operations.

The buildings in the centre and the tall chimney on the left are part of the Etruscan Tile Works (earlier, the Castlefield Works). Beyond the foundry, the smoking chimney is at the Etruscan Bone and Flint Mill. Most of the terraced houses on the right hand side were built between 1900 and 1920.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/169-13 (204/38384)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.