Caldon Canal in Hanley Park

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:Hanley Park opened in 1897, covering nearly 65 acres (25 hectares) and was designed by Thomas Mawson who also laid out Burslem Park. He laid the park out on what was known as "Stoke Fields", an area of waste land between Stoke and Hanley. The Caldon Canal which predates the park by nearly 120 years passes through the middle. In this photograph, the nearest bridge is number canal bridge 5a, a footbridge joining the bandstand/pavilion area to the boating pond area. In the distance is bridge 6, which carries Ridgway Road over the canal.

Typical of late Victorian municipal parks, Hanley Park used to be the venue for fetes and funfairs until just before the Second World War. In 2015, a Heritage grant has been obtained to restore the boathouse, bridges, pavilion, lakes and fountains.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/168-23 (204/38353)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.