Howson's Pottery on the Caldon Canal, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:This photograph shows the rear of G. Howson's Eastwood pottery works on the Caldon Canal. George Howson's produced sanitary ware in Hanley between 1867 and 1966, when then factory was sold to Armitage Shanks. The site has been cleared and is now housing.

The bridge on the right carries Lichfield Street over the canal. On the right hand side beyond the bridge is the Joiner's Square Works (Stanley Mills) of Harrison & Sons. The works produced colours and glazes for the pottery industry, eventually becoming part of Johnson Matthey.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/176-04 (204/38332)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.