Hanley Post Office, Tontine Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:Hanley's main Post Office stood in Tontine Street. The grade II listed building was built in 1906 on open ground that once housed Batty's Circus. The three storey building, designed by John Rutherford, is faced with Hollington stone, from Alton, and has a prominent triangular pediment supported by Ionic columns.

In addition to being a public Post Office, the building was also the local sorting office and an early telephone exchange. In 2007 the office was closed and the building has been used as a training centre. The camera is looking along Tontine Street towards Tontine Square. The tall building adjoining the Post Office was Webberley's bookshop, stationers and printers.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/183-14 (204/38310)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.