Old Town Road and Deep Pit Colliery, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The view from the end of Old Town road towards Deep Pit Colliery with the winding gear in the centre. The curved building on the right belongs to H & E Smith, tile and fireplace manufacturers.

Deep Pit Colliery supplied coal to nearby Shelton Iron & Steel Works and operated from 1854 until closure in 1962. The colliery site was reclaimed and forms part of Central Forest Park. Alongside the colliery were the buildings associated with the neighbouring brickworks.

In the foreground is an early 1960s Morris Minor 6 cwt (300 kg) van.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/184-07 (204/38308)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.