The demolition of Hanley High School.

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1962

Description:Hanley Higher Grade School was opened in 1893, renamed Hanley Municipal Secondary School in 1905 becoming Hanley High School in 1924. the school became a "boys only grammar school" in 1938 when the girls were moved to Thistley Hough. In 1939 the original buildings were declared unsafe due to mining subsidence and the school relocated to Chell (and later Bucknall).

This building lay between Old Hall Street and Birch Terrace in Hanley, later the site of the shopping precinct and bus station. The photograph was taken from Charles Street.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/165-21 (204/38291)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.