Bethesda Schoolrooms, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:The photograph shows the western end of Alexander House, the former Methodist Sunday School of the neighbouring Bethesda Chapel. The gable end has a tablet in the pediment "Bethesda School, erected MDCCCXIX (1819) enlarged MDCCCXXXVI (1836)". On the right is the arched doorway. The old Bethesda Chapel burial ground, now a garden, is off to the left.

There was free education at the school, with over 1,000 children taught to read and write and given lessons in religious and general knowledge. The school had a large library "The Bethesda General and Juvenile Libraries."
The grade II listed building, including the stone pillars and cast iron railings, is now offices. Behind and to the left is steep the roof and dormer windows of Hanley Town Hall.

Parked in the foreground is a selection of 1960s cars including Minis, an Austin A35, a Triumph Herald and a Vauxhall Victor.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/165-10 (204/38287)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.