Bethesda New Connexion Chapel, Albion Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:1964

Description:This building dates from 1819 and the frontage from 1859. The land upon which Bethesda stands was first purchased in 1791, as a direct response to the emergence of the New Connexion and the need to make room for a new and growing congregation. Initially the chapel was a coach house in Albion Street in 1797. In 1798 a purpose-built chapel was erected on the same site, and this was enlarged in 1811 with the intention of seating 1,000 people. This building also proved too small, and in 1819 was rebuilt to its present dimensions.

In the autumn of 1859 the front of the Chapel was remodelled. A colonnade with Corinthian pillars was built at the front of the building, a central upper Venetian window was added, and the whole was surmounted with a massive cornice. The frontage, set back from the pavement, was enclosed with gates and pillars. There is a former cemetery to the rear of the chapel, now set out as informal garden and beyond this is the former Sunday School building.

The chapel closed on the 29 December 1985 and was left to decay but restoration began in 2002 when Historic Chapels Trust acquired the chapel.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/165-07 (204/38286)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.