Avoca Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:The camera is looking south east along Avoca Street and into Rawlins Street beyond. This is in the Northwood area of Hanley. Before the renaming of streets in the 1950s, Avoca was Taylor Street and Rawlins was Albert Street. Running across the photograph in the foreground is Turner Street, with Swettenhams shop on the corner. Swettenhams were listed as a "departmental store" and dealt in groceries. The company had a main shop in Lichfield Street with branches throughout The Potteries. Some of the larger shops were early supermarkets. The shop in the photograph however was available to let. The two buildings on the left still stand. Further down, the houses in Rawlins Street have been largely redeveloped. Rawlins (Albert) Street was built up by the 1880s with Avoca (Taylor) Street only partly built by 1900.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/164-14 (204/38281)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.