Bethesda New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Albion Street, Hanley

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:Bethesda Chapel is an example of a large 19th-century town chapel. The building, which dates largely from 1819, was constructed by newly emerging the Methodist New Connexion on the site of an earlier chapel built in 1798. The main entrance to the church is on Albion Street, where a new frontage was erected in 1859. This was the work of Robert Scrivener, a local architect who also designed Hanley Town Hall, at the top of Albion Street. The facade is Italianate style, with a portico of eight Corinthian columns. Above is a central Venetian window and a cornice with a central broken pediment. Its frontage is set back from the edge of the pavement with cast-iron gates.

This chapel closed on the 29 December 1985 and was left to decay. The Historic Chapels Trust acquired the grade II* listed building in 2002 and started a programme of restoration of the facade, roof, widows and interior galleries, pulpit and organ.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/164-07 (204/38280)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.