Hanley Town Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:October 1963

Description:This view from Pall Mall into Albion Street and Albion Square is dominated by Hanley Town Hall. Bagnall Street runs off to the right alongside the hall leading to the adjoining Victoria Hall. The Hanley Town Hall building started life as the Queen's Hotel in 1869, becoming the Town Hall for the County Borough of Hanley in the mid 1880s. The three storied building is made of brick with stone facings at the corners and entranceways. Designed by Robert Scrivener, the steep roof with dormer windows are in the French Renaissance style.

This is Hanley's third Town Hall, the first was in Town Road in the 1800s, the second in Fountain Square, built in 1845 (now Lloyd's Bank). The present Town Hall is a grade 1 listed building. Parking regulations have cleared the cars away with a pedestrian walkway and a war memorial are now at the front of the building.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/164-04 (204/38270)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.