Trentham Gardens

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1964

Description:The Italian Garden and remains of Trentham Hall in the mid 1960s. In the centre beyond the planting is the triple arched Loggia. A loggia is an open sided extension to a house, similar to a porch, but with columns or arches on the open side, usually leading to the garden. It comes from the Italian for a lodge. Although Trentham once boasted three loggias, only one now remains, standing on the west side of the parterre (the Upper Flower Garden), designed by Charles Barry, it dates from 1843. On the extreme right are the steps leading up to the parterre.

The Italian Garden has been restored and now has 70 flower beds designed within the framework of Charles Barry’s original Italianate Garden of the 19th Century

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/161-08 (204/38246)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.