Etruria Hall

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:June 1963

Description:The view northwards from the Trent & Mersey Canal with Etruria Hall in the centre and Shelton Steel works to the left. Behind the hall are the spoil heaps of Shelton and Racecourse Collieries. This photograph was taken from immediately in front of Wedgwood's Etruria Works.

Etruria Hall was built between 1768-1771 for Josiah Wedgwood and his family, who lived in the hall from 1769. Wedgwood had his offices in the hall. The Potteries Loop Line ran between the canal and the hall. The hall was sold in the 1840s when the company were in financial difficulties. It has also housed a girls’ school and was the headquarters for Shelton Bar Iron and Steel Company. It became the focal point of the Garden Festival in 1986 and efforts were made to return it to its original form. It is now part of a hotel in Festival Park. The spoil heaps behind have been reduced and landscaped.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/137-03 (204/35947)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.