Coalbrook Potteries and Washington Potteries, College Road, Shelton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:August 1963

Description:Looking south along College Road (originally know as Victoria Road) with two large potteries on the right hand side: Cleveland Pottery of Coalbrook Potteries (nearest the camera) and Washington Pottery. The trees in the background mark the edge of Hanley Park. the photograph was taken from outside the old headquarters of the Territorial Force of the North Staffordshire Regiment. Coalbrook Potteries building still stands, although no longer a pot works, but the Washington Pottery has been demolished.

Coalbrook Potteries operated the Cleveland Pottery from the mid 1950s, although the works has a tablet dated 1830, and manufactured floral earthenware. The Washington Pottery building dates from around 1882. It has had a number of occupants: Wardle & co until 1910, Swynnerton's to 1946, English Ironstone Tableware until acquired By Just Mugs Ltd in 1994. The pottery closed in 2001 and demolished in 2009.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/129-19 (204/35805)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.