W.Podmore & Sons, Potters' Millers, Shelton

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:September 1963

Description:W Podmore & Sons were a family firm of potters' millers with several mills around North Staffordshire. This is their Caledonian Mill on Caledonia Road in Shelton, just off Cemetery Road. The buildings back onto the Caldon Canal. This was originally the site of Hedges & Co brewery. The photograph shows the laboratory and main offices rebuilt in 1950s style. The panels above and below the windows were yellow glass and the rest, multi coloured brick. Part of the original 1919 mill building is beyond the modern façade and also extends to the right. The 1950s building has been demolished, but the older parts remain, converted into student accommodation for the nearby college and university. Podmore's manufactured and milled materials for the pottery and glass industry, particularly frits, glazes and oxides.

The car nearest the camera is a 1960s Wolseley Hornet, seen as an upmarket version of the basic Mini, longer with a larger boot, upgraded interior, distinctive grille and more chrome. Production ran between 1961 and 1969.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/129-08 (204/35802)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.