Simpson's Elder Works, Waterloo Road, Cobridge

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:Simpson's Elder Pottery on Waterloo Road in Cobridge. The arched entrance has JA and 1848 on the posts and "Solian Ware" painted beneath the company name. The Elder Works frontage was rebuilt by John Alcock in 1848, hence the initials. Solian Ware was one of the earthenware ranges produced here.

The Elder works was an extensive pottery fronting onto Waterloo Road between Grange Street and Hawthorn Street occupied, after Alcocks, by the SOHO pottery which became Simpsons in 1944. The company left the site in 2004 and the works demolished.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/128-20 (204/35794)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.