Fountain Place Pottery, Westport Road, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:December 1963

Description:The camera is looking down Westport road from Fountain Place in Burslem. On the left, Alcock's cycle and television shop used to be the corner frontage to Enoch Wood's Fountain Place pottery works. To the left is Packhorse Lane. Originally built in 1789 but with many additions and alterations, the building is grade II listed. The front was restored to as it was in the 19th century and the building converted into flats.

Neighbouring is a range of shops and above the shops was L Jones (electrical wholesalers). The frontages have been replaced with windows, the entrance remodelled and the ground floor converted into flats. The next building down, with the turret, is the old Burslem fire station, Longmore's ceramic colour works at the time of the photograph, and also now converted into flats. Next door is the White Hart Inn (with the Inde Coope sign). All these buildings still stand. At the far end, just appearing above the car roofs is the front of the Hill Top Methodist Sunday School and beyond, the Hill Works of Wade Heath.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/117-06 (204/35597)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.