Wade Heath's Hill Works Pottery, Burslem

Move your pointing device over the image to zoom to detail

Date:November 1963

Description:The photograph was taken looking up Westport Road from the near the corner of Back Sytch Road (now no longer). On the left is the sign for Hill Top Council Junior and Infants' School which were on the corner of Greenhead Street. The large building on the same side of the road is the old Hill pottery, later Royal Pottery.

On the right hand side is the Hill Works of Wade Heath & Co. The Hill Works date from 1814, were built by John and Richard Riley and had a number of owners before Wade Heath occupied the factory from 1954 to 2010. The entrance to the works, further up Westport Road, is a grade II listed building.

Westport Road was previously called Liverpool Road and was the main route from Burslem to the port of Liverpool.

View Location

Share:

Link to this resource

Creators: Mr Bert Bentley - Creator

Image courtesy of: Stoke on Trent City Archives.

Donor ref:SD1480/116-09 (204/35593)

Copyright information: Copyrights to all resources are retained by the individual rights holders. They have kindly made their collections available for non-commercial private study & educational use. Re-distribution of resources in any form is only permitted subject to strict adherence to the usage guidelines.